this site the web

Sunday, November 15, 2009

La Fromagerie - One of my favorite hideaways in England

Le_Fromagerie_Ldn2
Monsieur Jean Baptiste and me
Le_Fromagerie_Ldn1
Jacket -Twenty8Twelve by S. Miller/Scarf- Alexander McQueen/Woolen cap- Chrome Hearts
Last week after pampering myself to a 'mini' shopping spree at Matches, a multi label boutique on Marylebone High street, I was ecstatic to stumble upon a quaint delicatessen-cum-cafe La Fromagerie, tugged away at the corner of Moxon Street! More happy hours ensued!
As I entered, I was greeted by a display of fresh fruits and vegetables, herbs and freshly baked bread, olive oils and dried condiments, chutneys, homemade jams, a spread of cakes,biscuits and other products. Next to the cashier there is an enclosed maturing room that is temperature controlled filled with every imaginable cheese!
I was ushered to a seat facing a window by a lovely lady named Kaya, whose name brought back fond memories of my childhood when Mom would make home made jam called Kaya!
There is no set menu. The cheese and wine selections are changed daily.
I decided to indulge myself with the tasting cafe menu as suggested by Kaya which included a selection of five perfectly ripened cheeses from the cheese room served with fresh fig, bread and a glass of wine specifically selected to compliment the cheeses. I am far from a wine connoisseur besides Mc1 and wine don't quite agree. I opted for freshly squeezed orange juice instead. I have to say I have never eaten so much cheese in my life but I was more than happy to overdose on my calcium intake for the day with such fromage delicieux! I also discovered that fresh fig is a perfect match for cheese!
The next day I returned to buy Camembert cheese and was served by an in-house affineur, Monsieur Jean Baptiste who not only knew his cheeses but was also very helpful and quite a charmeur!

Le_Fromagerie_Ldn 06Le_Fromagerie - cheese sample 05

2 comments:

  1. I wanna learn all about cheese too!
    Incidentally you'll find that the cheese experience will be different with the wine...
    the wine enhances the palate.
    ;-)
    Keith G

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right!
    Pity wine and Marie can't mix well. Haha!
    Thanks for checking out the blog.
    :)
    Marie c1

    ReplyDelete